What is Maskne? What causes it and how can we fix it.
Maskne or mask acne, a skin condition that occurs on a person's face (jaw, cheeks, nose, chin, and around the mouth) from regularly wearing a face mask.
In 2020 a lot of us started to wear face masks for the first time due to the covid 19 pandemic. There have also been a lot of us that started to wonder why the sudden acne breakouts on the face.
What causes maskne?
So what is maskne (mask acne)? Acne is a skin condition that is most commonly caused when our pores become clogged with sebum (oil), dirt, moisture, skin cells and other foreign matter. This can cause Propionibacterium acnes (P. Acnes) bacteria, to become trapped beneath the skin’s surface, causing infection, inflammation, and the development of pimples. Maskne also known as “acne mechanica” is another type of acne that is caused by friction against the skin that leads to skin irritation. Continues friction over time can lead to inflammation that can block pores and lead to breakouts. In addition the moisture - emitted from breathing, talking, coughing, or sneezing get trapped under our mask. The mask creates a seal that prevents this moisture form escaping, creating a humid environment where acne-causing bacteria is able to thrive.
Can I prevent Maskne?
Often we can say whatever is causing the problem; stop doing it and the problem will resolve. Unfortunate due to the pandemic we can’t take away the masks, however we can take steps to prevent the breakouts or at least the severity of it.
Maskne prevention tips
01. Wash fabric masks. The Australian Government advises a cloth mask should be washed each day after use. However, if during the day your mask is visibly dirty or wet, do not continue wearing your mask; the mask needs to be washed.
02. Wash your face regularly. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser morning, night and after sweating or wearing a mask.
03. Skip the makeup. Don’t worry keep using your Naked Klay products your skin will looks its naked best in no time. Makeup is only going to clogged the pores even more.
04. Avoid rich skincare during the day. Save your rich hydration moisture or oil for you night time routine. Use a light moisture like Naked Klay’s Clarifying Moisturiser as this is rich in ancient herbal medicinal herbs such as Gotu Kola, Burdock Root and Willow Bark. Formulated with a gentle pH targeting inflammation and breakouts providing anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory benefits to the skin. Additionally this cream also contains your anti ageing ingredients. We have you covered at all angles.
05. Use a charcoal clay mask. Use 2 to 3 times a week. We recommend the Naked Klay’s 2 in 1 Detoxifying Exfoliating Mask - Charcoal Clay. This powerful double action mask will draw out all the nasties, keeping your skin clean and clear. The superfine Bamboo and Grape Seed exfoliants add an additional benefit, lifting dead skin cells while giving the skin a smooth, brighter complexion.